Saturday, July 9, 2005

Thunderbird Falls, Alaska


I've been stationed in Texas and became a Texas resident.  Texans are very proud of "everything is bigger in Texas" sayings.  I have to admit, I'd never seen tree leaves this big before in Texas.  Look at it!  This one leaf is bigger than both our hands put together.  And I may have mentioned how big the Alaskan mountains are.  There are dozens of mountains in the Anchorage area that are more than 6,000 feet tall, even though the base is at sea level.  That's like being in the Colorado Springs area with the 13,000 - 14,000 foot mountains, that start at a base of 7,000 feet.
Alaska needs to come up with its equivalent of "everything is bigger in ..." saying.
 
 
 We climbed up this lookout tower to get a better view of the falls.

 
Then Russ, Charlie Howell and I all hiked to be closer to the base of the falls.  We could feel the spray in the air.  It was so incredibly peaceful even though the noise from the waterfall was quite loud.

Russ and I even managed NOT to fall in when we got on the river bank to get a picture of Thunderbird Falls in the background.  If you're ever in the Anchorage area, I highly recommend this easy hike.


No comments: